Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: 35 minutes
Ready In: 40 minutes
Berries and Dumplings is an old fashioned dessert that needs to make a comeback!
Do you remember when you were a kid and after a family meal mom or dad would throw together a quick and delicious dessert that just locked that memory in place? Or a special meal with your grandparents and them sneaking you that delicious treat before sending you back to your parents? Make it again with your kids or with your friends, make some new old fashioned memories. I promise it’ll make you a hit and will be asked for again and again.
But, what about other types of fruit, do they get no love here?
On the contrary! While berries are so sweet and delicious and you can mix and match them here or go with one berry group specifically, this recipe works just as well with apples, peaches, pears, you name it! It’s worth exploring and using your favorite fruits in the mix. (I sometimes sneak this bad boy in at night when I have a wicked sweet tooth and no one else is awake;)
- 1 pound frozen berries of your choice (or a mix)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- In a medium skillet cook berries, lemon juice, 4 tablespoons sugar and 1/4 cup water over medium until slightly thickened; about 11 to 13 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and 2 tablespoons sugar; add buttermilk and melted butter, stirring until a moist dough forms. Dividing evenly, spoon 6 dollops of dough over fruit. Combine cinnamon and 1 teaspoon sugar, sprinkling over the dough.
- Cover pan tightly with foil, cooking over medium-low heat until dumplings are set and tops are dry to the touch; about 15 minutes.
Serve warm and with ice cream or whip cream or both!!!