Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 15 minutes
Ready In: 30 minutes
Zesty TexMex Chicken is great on it’s own or used as a filling!
I love spicy food and especially TexMex (if you couldn’t already tell from our chicken chimichangas), and this recipe is no exception. It’s so delicious on it’s own, rolled into burrito’s or dropped in a taco shell. This one’s always a hit around my house.
Does is have to be chicken!?
Of course not! Swap it out for ground meat, cut up steak, shredded pork, ground turkey or just extra vegetables for those of you who just want to eat more veggies.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 package of taco seasoning mix, or devise your own
- 1 can (15 oz each) Black Beans, drained, rinsed
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 5 oz of diced tomatoes, undrained
- 5 oz of green chilies, undrained
- 1-1/4 cups instant rice, uncooked
- Chopped cilantro, optional
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese blend
- 1 cup water
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add onion and taco seasoning, cook 2 minutes then stir in black beans, undrained tomatoes, undrained chilies and water; bring to a boil.
- Stir in rice. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 7 to 10 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Sprinkle top with cheese and cilantro, if desired.